Celebrate National Carousel Day on your favorite figures!
July 25, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Did you know that the idea for carousels dates back 1,500 years? Historians have discovered that baskets were lashed to a center pole and people were spun around in circles in ancient Byzantium. Or, did you know that in 1500 A.D. French knights would challenge each other to snag a suspended small ring with their lances as they spun around on a platform astride wooden, headless mounts? That led to craftsmen making horse figures on turning platforms for village children.
You can learn more about these fun machines, plus have the thrill of riding one of the most magnificent hand-carved and painted carousels in America, on Monday, July 25. Our 48 figures and two chariots can’t wait to celebrate their special day with you. So, come ride to your happy heart’s content!
- Operators will share facts about carousels, especially about the original and current Silver Beach Carousels, throughout the day.
- We’ll give away random free prize rides – hope you’re one of our winners!
- Get your face painted. Jenni Bush is amazing! She’ll do a full-face masterpiece for $5 and a partial face for $3. Proceeds will benefit our animal friends at the Humane Society of Southwest Michigan. She’ll be here 1-5 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.
- Pick up information about the National Carousel Association and all the work they do to protect, preserve and restore carousels around the country. They would love to have you as a new member!
- Find wonderful carousel items in The Brass Ring Gift Shop.